Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Grrrr...(I'm mad at Starbucks)

So I ordered a "Skinny Caramel Macchiato" the other day at Starbucks.  I liked it so much, I got the iced version today.  Both times, I asked the person at the register:  "The Skinny Caramel Macchiato is sugar free, right?"  Both times, affirmative:  of course it's sugar free.  (Well, aside from the natural sugar in milk.  I accounted for that already.)

"Wow!"  I thought to myself.  "This is so tasty!   And it tastes so non-fake caramel!"

There's a reason for that.  I checked their nutrition web site, to get the calorie count, and I viewed the info about this wonder of the espresso-drink world.  In the fine print:  "Caramel drizzle is not sugar free."

Guess the old adage is true:  "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is."

I guess the good news is (1) this followed a 2-mile walk and (2) that I found this out before I popped the top off the empty cup and licked all the caramel drizzle off of the inside.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry Pubsgal. That is one of my guilty pleasures. There is a coffee place inside UC Davis, and when you fill up your card, you get a free drink. And I always get the caramel frappocino, non-fat, with whip. And I do almost lick the caramel off the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to see a post from you. I was going to email you and see what was up if there wasn't one :D

    It is so annoying when staff don't have the correct information. It can be of serious health consequence!

    Can I tell you that when I was 250 pounds, I had a grande caramel macchiatto every single day? Not only that, but I had had a toffee bar with it as well. I probably would spend 600 calories a day on a snack like that, even when I got the latte with skim.

    Guess that is why I was 250 pounds...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lori - When I think of everything I used to eat, I'm seriously surprised that I wasn't heavier than 265.

    @Debby - And it's funny, the only reason I was in Starbuck's is because I had won a gift card! They do have some good stuff, too - I like their latte with sugar-free caramel syrup (not the drizzle). I also like Peet's cafe mocha made with sugar-free chocolate. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter one time brought me a sugar free coffee from Starbucks - she told me that she specifically asked for sugar free vanilla.

    It was delicious! A couple hours later I tested my blood sugar and it was 375! Now she says "my Mom will die if she doesn't get the sugar free" and they pay better attention!

    ReplyDelete