Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Tuesday 4 January 2011



Breakfast:  Spinach+cheese omelette, the usual toast, 2.5 mugs Kona coffee, all 1/2&1/2.  I can taste the almond milk in my coffee now, and I just wanted to savor exclusively the Kona goodness.

Mr. Handsome-and-Handy purchased our Christmas coffee and macadamia nuts for me from an interesting place: Smithfarms, a small, sustainable coffee and macadamia nut farm on the Big Island of Hawaii!  Both items were so very tasty!  I have had 100% Kona coffee before, and their coffee is excellent.  I especially noticed a difference in taste between their mac nuts and the factory farmed variety.  More lightly salted, and they had a more crunchy texture, too.  I think we'll definitely be ordering from them again.



Lunch:  1 cup milk (not shown), steak in salad (just romaine lettuce) with Balsamic vinaigrette, apple



Oh, and more Christmas booty!

I'm glad I went for a walk at lunchtime. It felt good to get some sunshine, talk to my Portland-based BFF on the phone, and spend a little time off my rear end.  I ended up not getting any other exercise today.



Snack time 1:  I had these...



and these!

Lori, you asked if I ever tried baking kale chips.  I did, and the results were somewhat inconsistent:  I had perfectly crispy ones, some soggy ones, and many burnt ones.  I did try using my microwave dehydrator, and that was much better.  I just need to learn a little self-control in waiting until the whole batch is done before chowing down!  I also like all the flavors on the packaged varieties, so I found a recipe and will let you know if it works. (crossing fingers!)

Snack time 2:  I had some blueberries and almonds.  (If you lived closer, Lori, I'd have happily shared these with you.)




In the car on the way home:  For some reason, it felt really soothing to eat crunchy vegetables on the way home.  And the commute isn't even really that stressful.



Dinner:  Pesto-jack cheeseburger and green beans.  Holy habaneros, this was tasty!


I thought I was going to have some of my sugar-free toffee, but didn't get around to it.  I don't know if it was frustrated anticipation that made this happen, but I was feeling very strong hunger signals when I was trying to go to sleep.  I decided to ignore it, because I had plenty to eat, and I'd be eating again in the morning.  So yeah, maybe it took me 5 minutes to get to sleep rather than 2 minutes. ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Blueberries! See - you wouldn't be able to share with me, because I would take them all!

    I loves me some good coffee. It really is worth it to source out good stuff, especially when it is something you have every day. Too many people drink junk coffee considering all the great stuff that is available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried making kale chips a few times - each time was a disaster, until I realized, WTF am I doing? I don't even like kale - even dipped in hot sauce! :D

    Hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete