Thursday, November 18, 2010

Holiday Hoedown Reboot: Wednesday 17 November 2010

...Please wait while "Pubsgal Eats" is rebooted.

For your listening pleasure, press 1 for "Girl of Ipanema" or 2 for "Summer Samba".

[Imagine selected soundbyte here here]

...Thank you! Reboot is complete. Have a nice day!

So I was debating on whether to jump in the "way back" machine and get out my old paper logs and use those, or to continue with taking pictures. Taking pictures won!



Breakfast:  We ran out of flax bread.  (Update on Thursday: They had it at Trader Joe's!!!  Which opens at 8 a.m., not 9 a.m.  I so did not need to know that.)  So I had 1/2 of a Thomas' light English muffin (ooo, I've missed those!) and egg + chorizo scramble.  2 mugs of coffee with almond milk and half-and-half.



Mid-morning snack:  I ate this at 11 a.m.  "Nut Delight" Kind bar stats: 210 calories, 16 grams fat, 14 grams carb (4 fiber, 5 sugar), and 7 grams protein.

Today was CardioSculpt day, and I wanted to do my comparison test regarding the blood glucose lowering effect of a full-on strength workout.  Pre-workout, at 12:15 p.m. (75 minutes later), my blood glucose level was 104.

Class was intense!  We did lots of all-the-way-to-the-floor lunges and such.  I used body weight alone for the leg work (it was work enough) and 8 lb dumb bells for everything upper-body.  (A little light for chest and back work, just right for biceps and triceps, a little too heavy for shoulders but we didn't do many reps so it worked okay.)

I tested again at 2 p.m. - following class, shower, walk back, get lunch out of the fridge.  Post-workout blood glucose level was 100 (3 hours after eating).  This only shows a decrease of 4, but the exercise may have prevented a higher climb in the post-snack numbers, because the fat, fiber, and protein content in a Kind bar would definitely have a different effect than, say, eating something that was all carbohydrate.  I will choose a rest day and repeat the eating and testing pattern to see how it compares.  These experiments are turning out to be really interesting!



Lunch:  So I was really hungry by the time I got to eat!  Like Biz does sometimes, this was a "throw stuff in the lunch bag day."  I had an apple and 2 cheese sticks.



These peanuts, too.  Roasted but unsalted.



And Brussels sprouts with veggie broth.  Yum!


Afternoon snack:  About 1/4 cup dry-roasted wasabi edamame.


Dinner:  Was not quite ready yet when I got home.  Mr. H&H and the Things had done a Costco run and had gotten some mac nuts.  I had this + 1/2 of the dish Thing 2 didn't finish.


Hey, they also got some veggies!  Yummy stir-fry veggies (that's about a cup cooked) with a little stir-fry sauce (not too bad on the carb count - I think it was about 5 grams per tsp?) and scallops (4 oz. - I measured).  I also enjoyed a glass of milk.


They restocked the crunchy peanuts.  So I also had a little bit of peanuts.

Then I moved the mac nuts up to the top shelf and was done.  I'm pretty content with how the day went.  My only sweet was the Kind bar (no Halloween candy or chocolate), I kept out of the "meat doggies," and I ate (for me) a reasonable amount of nuts. 

3 comments:

  1. You should see my 'high-up' shelf. John puts stuff up on top of the kitchen cabinets so it is out of eye level viewing and I actually have to pull a chair over to get to the stuff. That does pretty well at diverting me most times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so tall PG, is there any shelves you can't reach?

    I like your food posts so much. Glad you rebooted! I'm too lazy to do it myself, as you can see from my blog.

    I was going to do one of those glucose tests at work today but I forgot about it until I came back from lunch...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy seeing what others eat, and your food posts are great! I get good ideas about trying different foods. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete