Monday, November 1, 2010

Friday 29 October 2010 + I Made Roasted Bean Croutons!

Here's my food log from Friday.

I decided to go "off camera" for the weekend.  It went just fine - I had a little candy, but not too much, and had much activity:  lots of walking around, some serious arm-muscle work in cleaning out and carving 7 pumpkins.  (Thing 1 did carve his two, but I helped him get started by punching holes along the design.)  Halloween was so much fun, and I'll be sharing more when I get my pictures off the regular camera!  We were so busy that I missed doing the virtual 5K and I missed posting the BSI by the deadline - sorry, Biz!  I hope you all had a great weekend!


Breakfast:  Flax toast (Mr. H&H went back to buying me the preferred toast, even though he likes the other kind better...I imagine we'll bounce back and forth between the two) with almond butter and sugar-free apricot jam.  And decaf coffee with almond milk and half-and-half


Whoops: Almost missed getting shot of my usual work coffee + chia mess.

Lunch whoops: And I did miss my green salad and sausage sticks lunch, because I was eating standing up at the school Halloween costume parade.


I did get a picture of these adorable spider cookies, though.


Afternoon snack:  I was really hungry between school event + resuming working remotely, so I had an apple and peanut butter....


I also had half a chocolate butter.



I also had some nuts.  Off to the library....



Dinner:  And home again!  It was pizza night...or for the kids, cheese bread night!  I had a slice before making mine.



Had a few sausage sticks.  I'm glad these are gone, for now.  I just need to keep out of the meat drawer when they get restocked.



Well, you get the idea.  I made a turkey pepperoni pizza on a FlatOut flatbread.



Oh, and I had a bit of crust.


Half of the 2nd-to-last Sees.


An M&M.  (It took me awhile to remember what this was.)


And some chocolate chips and nuts.  If I remember correctly, Thing 2 shared some of these.

I Made Roasted Bean Croutons!

I was working on a dish for BSI chiles, but I wasn't able to completely follow through with my idea.  Sorry, Biz! :-(  But I can share with you my experience making the crouton part, anyway.  I wanted a crouton that wasn't made of bread - since Biz and Tony are doing South Beach - so I turned to the ultimate non-bread crouton, askGeorgie.com's "Garlic and Rosemary Roasted Cannellini Beans" recipe, but substituted chipotle powder for the rosemary.  I'd made her roasted garbanzo beans before, but I liked these a lot better.  (Which makes sense:  I prefer cannellini beans to garbanzos.)


The ingredients!


All mixed up, and ready to roast.


Done!  These didn't taste overly spicy to me, but if you're not familiar with chipotle, it can be a touch hot.  Maybe try smoked paprika if you don't like hot stuff?  I think the adobo sauce they put in canned chipotles would have been an interesting variation, too.

Texture-wise, they are lightly crunchy.  They make a good snack as-is, but they are even better as a garnish.  Some of the beans don't get fully crispy, so you do have a little bit of bean texture.  These would be great on a salad (which is sort of where I was going....I was thinking some sort of green salad with grilled chicken, green chile-tomatillo vinaigrette, and shredded cotija cheese) or even a tomato-based soup.

1 comment:

  1. 7 pumpkins? Seriously? That is a lot of carving!

    I like the roasted chickpeas. Wonder if I would like the roasted regular beans. I want to try a cinnamon sugar one.

    ReplyDelete