Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Monday 1 November 2010


Breakfast: Sausage gravy a la Florentine (that is, with some thawed frozen chopped spinach mixed in) and a "fake danish" (flax toast + cream cheese + sugar-free jam) and 3 cups of the usual coffee.  (It was regular this time, which mean I was rarin' to go by the time I got out the door!)

I did my exercise before work today, because I knew I'd be going out to lunch.  Nothing too intense, because I already showered and was dressed for work; I walked one loop (1.5 mile) around the neighborhood in my new running shoes!  They are sooooo comfy.

Lunch (Not Shown):  I ate out with coworkers at a nice little Mexican restaurant in San Carlos.  I enjoyed some chips and guacamole, a beef tostada with extra lettuce (I didn't eat the bottom tortilla, so that I could have one of the soft ones with butter instead), and some refried beans with cheese. Yum!


Afternoon snack:  Peanut butter and apple.  (I almost grabbed a Reese's peanut butter cup out of the work break room, but I've made a...guideline for myself to not eat breakroom stuff unless it's either homemade or relatively healthy.  This was much better, volume-wise!)


Dinner:  Mr. Handsome-and-Handy got mahi-mahi at the store today!  It was really good.  I had it with Brussels sprouts (with olive oil, lemon pepper, and garlic).


Dessert:  20 chocolate chips and some nuts.  I had another cupful of nuts, too.


And the tiny Reese's cups in the kids' Halloween stash.  It tasted kind of funny, probably because I had eaten the better quality stuff already.

Here's a funny tidbit:  Mr. Handsome-and-Handy had sorted all of the kids candy into types and put them in individual ziplock bags.  I teased him about this, but he said it would be easier for the kids to find what they were looking for.  When I got home from work last night, it was all jumbled together in one box.  He laughed and said they had dumped it all into one pile, of course.  I think it's because they view it more as "treasure" than food:  it's just as much fun (or maybe even more!) to play with it and paw through it and revel in how much of it they have as it is to eat it.  (I'm surprised they aren't flinging it over their heads like gold doubloons and screaming, "We're rich!")  They did this for a couple of days last year, then moved on and forgot about it once we started rationing it, and I eventually ended up taking a lot of it to work.  What's also cute, and kind of surprising, is that they dump all of their candy into one stash and share it.  When Mr. H&H and I were kids, I don't think I knew of any siblings that did that.  He had 5 siblings, and he ate his good stuff first so that if he got raided, it wasn't as big of a loss.  I spent most of my childhood as an only, other than a brief sojourn with step-siblings, so I got in the habit of saving the best stuff for last.  (I had my own room, so this didn't cause problems when I did live with steps.)  You know what's weird?  I put my head into the box containing the treats and smelled it:  It smelled exactly like stashes of Halloween candy from my childhood.  Sort of wrappery and sweet and fruity and chocolatey, all in one.  It might not taste as amazing, but the scent was very cool.  (I'm also a little surprised that they did not get any candy corn!  I would have liked to have had one piece of it.)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I just got a little sad. I just realized I went all the way past Halloween and didn't have one candy corn. Waaah!

    New running shoes! Did you say what kind? I want some new ones, and can't figure out if I actually wore these out in 3 months, or if its just cause I want new ones.

    Great breakroom rule. Not sure I could live by it. I might try again to find another place to eat lunch.

    And the halloween candy sharing? NO WAY! Pretty nice that your kids do that though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We never shared our candy either - in fact my brother, the king of rationing, would eat his last piece of candy from the year before on the day before the next years Halloween!

    He used to torture us when he came out of his room with a raggety looking snickers bar in March and declare he wasn't even close to eating all his Halloween candy!

    ReplyDelete