Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Monday 29 November 2010

Well, I'm back

Well, it was a lovely holiday break. We enjoyed a nice Thanksgiving with family, and we had a lot of fun celebrating Mr. Handsome & Handy's birthday (bowling, dinner out, cake!). There were indulgences, mostly worthy (hello, stuffing and sister-in-law's amazing homemade pumpkin roll cake!), and some of the mindless munching (a little grocery store birthday cake at the celebration is fine, but did I really need it the next day, too?).  I didn't keep very close track of veggies and fruit and water for the challenge, but I think I was pretty close most days.

I did stick with my exercise, though.  Wednesday and Thursday were slug-like (other than a "playing catch" session on Thanksgiving that ended with a ball slimed with dog poo that also got on our jackets - talk about your exercise buzz-kill), and I didn't get in my hugely long run/walk, but oh well.  I got in some really good stationary biking, though, and a nice 4-miler while breaking in the new orthotics.

But anyhow, I'm back, and I might not be screaming, but I did gasp at the scale. I know some is probably water from too much carb and salt, but whatever. It came for the party, and had a lovely time, but now it has to go home. ("Home" being somewhere other than on my person.)

Lori and Debby and my Tinsel Vixen crew are being a good influence on me.  Today, I ate as clean as possible and tracked my food and fluid intake. I fired up the calorie/food tracker on my phone again, printed my old food log, photographed. I figure things need a bit more scrutiny for awhile.



Breakfast:  Tomato cheddar omelette, usual toast (with my homemade no-sugar-added cranberry sauce - yum!) and 3 mugs of the usual coffee.  Wheeee!



Lunch:  1 cup of 2% Greek-style yogurt, 1/2 cup of my cranberry sauce, 1 cup of broccoli with about 2 Tbsp Tuscan dressing.

Cautionary tale:  I made my cranberry sauce after Thanksgiving, having forgotten about the cranberries on the day of the feast.  (That's okay, I just used a little bit of regular and focused on the gravy.)  I had this jar of erythritol, a sugar alcohol, and it doesn't dissolve very well.  So I figured, since I was making something that I was going to boil the heck out of, I'd go ahead and use it.  I didn't quite have the full cup, so I used some stevia packets, too.  The sauce turned out great, very tart (my facial muscles get a great workout when I eat it).  HOWEVER, even though erythritol is not supposed to have the unfortunate gastrointestinal effects of other sugar alcohols, such as maltitol, it did cause me to bloat quite a bit and I had a very uncomfortable afternoon and early evening.  So I need to use this as a condiment, not a full serving of fruit. ;-)



And some pecans.  Guesstimating about 1 oz. here.



Snackage:  2 Tbsp chia seeds in tea, plus 1 apple.



Dinner: Surf & turf!  Guess the chef was cooking hungry tonight.  Est. 5 oz. of steak without the bone, steak sauce, 18 shrimp sauteed with garlic & butter, green salad with 1/2 avocado and some Italian dressing.  I also ate about 5 pistachios and drank a few sips of Mr. H&H's birthday beer*.

*No, Biz, this wasn't the Bourbon County stout.  I did buy it for him, but UGH!  NASTY!!!  Mr. H&H, who likes stout and likes bourbon, didn't think these were two great tastes that taste great together.  So to compensate, I got him some Spaten. :-)

Pre-bedtime workout:  30-day shred, level 1.  Other than subbing a less high-impact move for the butt kicks and jog-rope for the jump-rope jumping, I followed along quite dutifully.  I used 10 lb dumb bells for most things, except those side lunge/lateral raise moves and half of the squat-shoulder press set.    It didn't totally kick my posterior, so I guess my Wednesday class has made me stronger.  Yeay!  I estimated that this burned about 111 calories.

The stats, per my tracker, are as follows:
2462 calories consumed
- 111 burned
2351 net calories  (current budget is a reasonable 1800 - so yep, I was way off)
59% from fat (163.3 grams, 52.1 grams saturated)
21% from carbs (131.9 grams total; 38.5 grams fiber and 56.8 grams naturally-occurring sugar)
20% from protein (125.9 grams)
4 servings veggies, 2 servings fruit
8 cups of water, mostly in tea (with coffee, there was probably another 3 cups)
A "no sugar added" day - yeay!

Yawn!  I won't be doing this level of scrutiny forever, but I think it will be useful for a little while.

2 comments:

  1. I had that eye-popping moment looking at the scale the day after Thanksgiving and truthfully, it scared me more than a little bit. Hence my buckle down this week. I decided to do it calorie wise rather than trying to add in extra exercise because I didn't want to start disliking exercise, and it also takes no extra time to cut calories, whereas it does take time to add in exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The apple and tea pic cracked me up--either its a giant cup of tea, or a tiny apple. Or the photo angle?

    Anyway, I'm always glad to hear from you. I am missing my cranberry sauce post holiday this year. I am too lazy to make some. Gonna check TJ's to see if they have some of that really good almost homemade stuff.

    ReplyDelete