Thursday, July 29, 2010

Wednesday 28 July 2010


Breakfast: Whoops! I guess I wasn't being very mindful about taking a picture! Here's what 2 eggs and flax toast with butter/canola spread and sugar-free jam looks like about half-way done. Also enjoyed 2 cups of coffee with almond milk and half-and-half.

Debby asked about my flax bread.  I found Alvarado Street Bakery breads when I was just starting out with "eating to the meter" and wanted to find a bread that I could enjoy in the morning when my blood glucose levels were raging (http://www.alvaradostreetbakery.com/).  I also wanted a bread that had "clean" ingredients.  Their FAQ has some interesting info on their process of using sprouted whole wheat instead of flour.  I enjoy their Essential Flax Seed bread (2 slices=15 g. carb); the slices are smaller and less dense than other breads I've had, but I like being able to have 2 slices for one starch exchange.  Their "Diabetic Lifestyles Low Glycemic Index" bread is also good, but a serving is 1 slice. (That slice is more dense and a little larger than the Essential Flax slice.) I've also tried their sourdough, but same problem of 1 serving=1 slice.  If you don't already enjoy whole-grain breads, though, you might not enjoy these varieties. They do have a kid's bread that might be a bit closer in consistency to regular breads, but haven't tried it yet.  I don't know if it's because they recommend refrigerating their breads, but I much prefer them toasted.  I do pay more for it, but I'm the only one who eats it in our family, and one loaf lasts quite a long time.


Another cup of coffee with half-and-half at work...


Pre-workout Eats: A new food find from Trader Joe's. I have this thing for peanut butter and chocolate, and I liked the nutritional breakdown (200 calories: 12 fat, 10 carbs (1 fiber, 5 sugar), and 13 protein. The verdict? Meh. When I opened it, the chocolate coating was a little melty and made a mess on my hands. (Of course I was out of tissues.) I could definitely taste the peanut butter, but not so much the chocolate. It was crunchy from the wafer cookies. But there was a bitter undertone to it; when I checked the ingredients, stevia was low on the list but there. Could that have been the culprit, or was it their particular whey protein? Hard to say. Not something I'd buy again, there are other bars I greatly prefer. To their credit, no maltitol, which is why I chose it over other options in my stash.


Lunch and Snack:  I ate the peaches + cottage cheese + cinnamon + walnuts and the celery for lunch, and the crust + goat cheese later in the afternoon.  The peaches were a little bitter, and I don't think the cinnamon did much for this combo, so I'll leave it out next time.


Progress!  Only one dip in the Pecan Mix, this after the celery.  Not shown:  Tea.  I drink a lot of tea during the day, but I don't take pictures of it.


Dinner:  Probably-too-large of a very lean hamburger patty with extra-sharp cheddar cheese, BBQ sauce, and a salad with tomatoes, artichoke hearts, facon bits, crunchy garbanzos, and vinaigrette (with extra vinegar!).


Dessert: My "Taps" food, peanuts and 15 chocolate chips. Nothing says, "Day is done/Gone the Sun/(Eating is Done!)" for me like this combo.

1 comment:

  1. everything looks & sounds good...and now my tummy is growling! lol time for breakfast! :)

    ReplyDelete