Monday, July 19, 2010

Week of Eats: Sunday 18 July

(Or, The Day My Meals Defied Gravity! Note to self: Be more mindful of other people's necks, because photos emailed to the blog from my phone cannot be rotated in the HTML code....)

"Made to order brunch," said Mr. Handsome & Handy. More typical of Saturdays at Casa de Pubsfolk.  Experiment observation:  Seeing me taking pictures of what I eat has made the Things very curious about this new angle of Mom's food nuttiness, and their curiosity opened the door for me to talk about how it helps me (in a way that paper or computer journaling didn't).



(Please to imagine the above image rotated)
Here's my plate: 1 egg with 1 grape tomato and minced chive and 2 tbsp extra sharp
cheddar, 2 slices flax French toast with sugarfree syrup, 3.5 bacon (2 on plate, .5 while prepping, and one more after I ate all this stuff - I have a weakness for bacon).  3 mugs coffee with half-and-half, almond milk. One of those mugs mightve had a skosh of Bailey's Irish Cream.  The red drink is Crystal lite fruit punch.

The garnish on the egg was just to make it look pretty on the plate, but it ended up tasting great, too!  One grape tomato and two chive stems were perfect for a single egg.

Lunch: Part of Thing 2's leftover hot dog, and a salad with mixed leaf lettuce, tomato, leftover fried chicken (1/2 breast), 1 slice leftover bacon, caesar dressing, and a sprinkle of shredded romano cheese.
Lunch (2) - Grapes and half an apple.

The same half an apple; I ate this with peanut butter.

Mid-afternoon: Iced coffee (almond milk, coffee, splash of Bailey's)

Mid-afternoon: 7 sugar-free gummy bears.

Mid-afternoon:  Package of extra-crunchy peanuts.

Dinner:  This is the smart (but not frugal) thing I did yesterday - bought a pound of local, fresh King salmon at the harbor.  I didn't measure, but this was about 1/4 of the fillet, so approx. 4 ounces.  Oh, it was fabulous!!!  I grilled it with lemon juice, pepper, salt, rosemary, thyme, and a fine shredding of frozen butter.  We had green beans on the side, and some red wine to drink.  (Yes, with fish.  I'm a rebel that way.)

Not shown:  About 3 ounces of cooked hamburger that the kids didn't eat.  They don't care for fish, but at least we didn't get the usual "Eeeeew!  It's stinky!  Aaaaauuuugggghhh!" chorus.  (They do this even when it's not an item on their own plate.  *sigh*...)

Evening munchies:  "Hello, my name is Pubsgal, and I have a nut problem." (Pecans and macadamias picked out of the mixed nuts jar.  Shhhh, don't tell Mr. Handsome-and-Handy that I picked out all the good ones. ;-)

Evening munchies:  I had two pita chips with margarine.  (We're out of butter+canola spread.)  This was after taking a bite out of a day-old donut hole, chewing it a little, and then spitting it into the trash and throwing away the other half.  (So not worthy; what was I thinking?  And no photo...you're welcome for sparing you that. ;-)  After the pita chips, I emailed all the day's photos to the blog and found some other things to do than haunt the kitchen.  Argh.

What I learned today is that photo-blogging what I'm eating is helping me be accountable.  I was saved at least once by a too-lazy-to-photograph feeling.  It has also helped with "stealth eating."  I still sometimes eat things in the car (far less so during the past couple of years, though, than I used to do), or eat when everyone else is occupied at home, or in the privacy of my cubicle.  This is making me "eat around others," at least virtually, and I think it helps quite a lot.  (Foodie McBody had mentioned this as one of the benefits, and she's so right on.)  If I feel like I want to hide something I'm eating, should I really be eating it in the first place?

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant! Brilliant! ("If I feel like I want to hide something I'm eating, should I really be eating it in the first place?")

    Also even more brilliant: BAILEY's in your iced coffee!!!!! OMG!

    Thank you for that.
    So, you're gonna continue?? I'm putting you on my Blogroll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think yours is my favorite food blog! So real.

    And your humor. I can't skip a word or I'll miss something. Can we form our own chapter of nutsaholics anonymous. I guess we wouldn't be anonymous anymore since we've admitted it to the entire blog world.

    And 'stealth eating.' Aaaaargh. Just today someone at work mentioned that they never see me eating anything unhealthy. and I thought, well, that's because I try not to eat that stuff in front of other people...

    ReplyDelete