Monday, October 11, 2010

Friday 8 - Sunday 10 October 2010

Friday 8 October



Breakfast:  The usual!



Lunch:  I ate the meat and cheese off of 2 slices of pizza at our all-hands meeting today.  One was a combo meat, one was a combo veggie.  And the balance of the Universe was maintained.



Afternoon snack:  Salads, chicken and green!


And a square of chocolate.



Dinner:  Steak with steak sauce, peppers, and a mojito.



Late evening:  Many almonds and a second mojito.

Saturday 9 October



Breakfast:  The usual Saturday brunch.  I had cheesy eggs with tomato and chives, pancakes (1 about the size of a compact disk, and one mini), and 3.5 slices of bacon (2 shown).  I also had lots of my usual coffee. The pancakes were about 1/3-1/2 cup of regular mix with about 2 Tbsp milled flax seed.  I didn't feel like making a separate protein batch for me.



Lunch:  Farmer's market potpourri!  It's 1/3 chicken tamale, 1/4 of a tiny tomato + gruyere cheese savory, and 1/2 a tomato.



I also had 1/4 + 1/8 of this most worthy chocolate eclair.  (I discovered 3 Bee Baking at our local farmer's market, and oh heavens, they are tasty.)

Afternoon:  I took Thing 2 to a friend's birthday party.  I had a slice of pepperoni pizza (and ate crust! gasp!) but passed on cupcakes and ice cream.  Sweet tooth had been well-appeased by the eclair bites.



Dinner:  Looks repulsive, tasted delicous: baby back ribs and beer to drink.



Photo is representative, rather than actual.  I had a large, yellow heirloom tomato with Italian dressing.



I had 1/2 of a cookie.



And some almonds.

Sunday 10 October

I kind of burned out on the picture-taking today.  Will do my best to recap.



Breakfast:  Here's the other half of the gruyere and tomato savory.  Heating it a few minutes in the toaster oven transformed it tremendously!  A most worthy opponent of the donut!



Mr. H&H made the Sunday sausage gravy.  I also had plenty of the usual coffee.



I had also gotten a tiny little fruit pie (3 Bee Baking again) for Mr. H&H at the Farmer's Market.  I had a little slice of it.  Most worthy also!

Afternoon & evening:  Around lunchtime, I had a plum and a cheese stick.  I also ate some of the cherry tomatoes from our garden.  At 3 or so, we had an early dinner, so I had a salad and cheeseburger (probably about 6 ounces total) and some carrots.  Later on, I had the other half of a cookie and some chocolate chips.  And then around 6:30, Mr. H&H and I shared a can of chili, and I had a couple of chips and some salsa - good batch.  I also ate more almonds.

Weekend Recap - What I Noticed
I'm seeing a pattern here:  A pattern of eating as if I was working out at my former intensity.  I'm also noticing that I graze more when I let myself be "off camera."  I don't care much for these patterns.

I also notice that I'm having some vivid food dreams, followed by elevated fasting numbers.  I suspect it's because of the exercise thing; I haven't been consistent about the 30 minutes, 5 days per week pattern, and it's having the same effect as cutting back on Metformin did.  (See?  The diabetes educator was right!)  I rested a lot this weekend, which was nice, but it would have been better to get some moving in there, too.

To end on a positive note, though, I really felt like we had a great weekend.  Sometimes it's too easy to get stuck in my own head and get disconnected with my family, to just go through the "to do" check list with them without really engaging. ("Kids' teeth brushed?  check!  homework watch?  check!  bedtime story? check!  thank husband for cooking dinner?  whoops...okay, done now!")  We played card games, did homework (well, that part wasn't quite so fun), ate some meals together, and even just watched a little hockey and football.  I guess it doesn't always have to be about food and exercise and getting things done.

2 comments:

  1. I have been noticing some patterns with my eating as well lately. I have been doing wild pendulum swings like 2 cupcakes on the weekend, just because I am biking, and then feeling like I need to really swing the other way right after that. Need to make those swings less pronounced. Especially as the event season is winding down and I won't have those long rides!

    Are your almonds coated in something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, here's something that I noticed. I really admire that you can have little bits of 'special' foods and be satisfied. Very impressive, very 'french.' I was able to do that for a while, but lately have not.

    And I'm glad that you had a really nice family weekend.

    ReplyDelete