Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Monday 25 October 2010

Thanks for being calm voices of reason in my comments yesterday. (Overreactive much, Pubsgal? ;-) It just seems like October has been a really intense month, both personally and just in general for lots of folks.  But there's also lots of fun stuff going on, too. I guess it's sort of like our weather lately: gloomy and rainy a couple of days, then the gloriously sunny next day takes me by surprise.



Breakfast:  The constant omelette (with tomato today) and toast and the usual coffee.  With a tiny jack-o-lantern carved by Thing 1 at the "day out" last Saturday.  It's even more fun all lit up.



On the way to work:  I picked up the biggest cup of coffee at the local coffee place after my post office detour. (I mailed the hats for Christie O's NICU baby shower project.  And a couple of other things I couldn't quite resist.)  I mixed Brazilian Dark Roast + Chocolate Raspberry + French Roast Decaf.  Yum!  (I like mixing the flavored coffee with regular, because on its own it's sometimes too flavored.)



Lunch (camera angle whoops!):  It's a green salad with Balsamic vinaigrette and leftover chicken breast with bbq sauce.  I took a 2-mile walk in the sunshine and chatted with my mom on the phone.  Loved it!

I think part of my stress is the whole Vegas half-marathon thing.  I'm registered and have a plane ticket, and I'm stunningly unprepared at this point.  Maybe I just need to focus on preparing to have a good time and not worry about the event quite so much?  I guess I feel worried that I would be "wasting" the race registration money if I can't finish the event within the cutoff time of 4 hours.  But going and having fun with the people who will be there is money well-spent, so I just need to release some expectations and roll with it.



This was 3 baby dill pickles.  (I'm trying a new salt delivery system.)



Afternoon snack:  Yogurt and a tiny Clementine orange, with wheat germ and cinnamon.  Yummers!



And a square of dark chocolate.



Dinner...in reverse!  The main course was still baking, so I had a handful of peanuts.



And a low-carb tortilla, toasted, with the rest of the guacamole.



And here's the main course:  mini-meatloaves!  The lighting does not do justice to these morsels of meaty goodness.  Mr. Handsome-and-Handy baked them in the muffin pan.  He used low-carb bread for the bread part.  Heavens, they were tasty!



I had another half of one when I was packing the rest away.

P.S. - Forgot to mention, the a1c from the lab was 5.7%!  Woot!!!  And all related tests were normal.  That makes 1 year and 9 months of maintaining my a1c below 6%.  It took me 6 months post-diagnosis to get there; I aim for the "normal" range on the a1c test, to try and prevent diabetes complications.

2 comments:

  1. Lots to comment on.

    Yes, just go and have fun at the marathon. I am amazed at the reports I read of people who haven't trained much or well, and do quite well at the half-marathon (Roni and Laura come to mind)

    Pickles--salt delivery system LOL. I know someone who calls cookies a frosting delivery system.

    The yogurt idea looks yummy. I think I'll try with oat bran and flaxseed meal, and some fruit.

    And congrats on your A1C. That is the best part of all. It tells you that these little blips in imperfect eating don't have much to do with your overall health!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your good A1C numbers. It sounds like you're doing well. After having some higher blood sugar readings a few years ago, I've been trying to eat well and lose weight. I haven't lost all the weight yet, and I have some lapses in food, but overall, doing much better. My numbers are now normal, but I know I will have to work at it to keep them there.

    ReplyDelete