Monday, August 9, 2010

Friday 6 & Saturday 7 August 2010

Friday 6 August
I didn't track today.  It started when I ate breakfast (spackle, I think) and realized I hadn't taken a photo, and then I was in a whirl of company picnic preparation and activity at the picnic.  It was a lovely day, and my family came to the party, too.  I had a turkey burger patty with salsa and jalapeños and mustard and (sorry, Biz!) onions, with some 3-bean salad (ick, it was too sweet) and a slice of Swiss cheese.  I also ate 2-oz. package of peanuts and two brownie bites (one at lunch and one later in the afternoon), as well as some raw veggies, during the party.  I got home a little early (yeay!).  I grilled up a burger for Thing 1 and sausages for me and Thing 2, and we shared a fruit tray.  (Which meant Thing 1 ate the grapes and a little bit of orange, Thing 2 ate mostly orange slices, and I got the apple.)  I also ate some chili made out of the leftover tri-tip.

Is it normal to remember food in such detail?  Or a sign of food obsession channeled in a different direction?

Saturday 7 August

Breakfast: Today was Mr. Handsome-and-Handy's sleep-in day, so I had a few nuts when I fed the kids. And some decaf coffee.



Brunch: Mr. Handsome-and-Handy made omlettes for us and pancakes for the kids. The omlette had chives, tomatoes, and mushrooms along with some cheddar cheese. Yum! I also had half a pancake with sugar-free syrup instead of my usual toast, and 4 pieces of bacon (2 shown). And more decaf coffee.


Afternoon snack: As you can imagine, brunch held me quite well. I took the kids to the library to get their prizes for completing the summer reading program, and we went to the bakery for cookies. I had this little lovely, plus about 1/4 tsp of Thing 1's chocolate chip crescent (it had a drier texture and a slight cinnamon flavor, different from your traditional toll house recipe) and Thing 2's brownie (she didn't finish and she offered me the 2nd half, but I was content and we saved it for later...which meant I stuck it in the bread box and we forgot about it.) I also had a little of Thing 2's milk.


Dinner: Mr. Handsome-and-Handy had a yen for potatoes, and they did sound pretty good. I wanted sweet potato, too, so we cooked up 3 potatoes. I scooped out nearly all of the innards and ate the skins of the sweet potato and one of the russets; the skins have always been my favorite part. Veggies tonight were sort of token on the grown-ups' plates; the kids got most of the broccoli. Thing 2 coveted this particular steak bone, so we swapped.

Not pictured: A little wine during movie night while the kids were at our local gymnastics school's "Kids Night Out." Which looks like so much fun! 4 hours of romping around on gymnastics equipment, eating pizza and popsicles, romping some more, capped with a half hour of dance party with glow-in-the-dark bracelets, colorful disco ball, strobe lights, and kid music.

You know, I wish they had a "Gr'ups Night Out," but their insurance doesn't cover grown-ups using the equipment. Darn. I'd just love the last part, where they all dance around in the dark on the squishy floor.  It reminded me keenly of the heaven of the roller skating rink when I was a young tween: music, hours of smooth roller skating, and chocolate frozen yogurt at the snack bar.  What more could you want, except pink sparklie ponies?

So what happened to that?  I think they should have a gym where it's all fun stuff.  Roller skating to music.  Swim classes where you play "Marco Polo" and dive for stuff on the bottom.  Trampolines.  Zip lines and swings and slides.  The rope swing in Zuckerman's barn in Charlotte's Web.  Punk rope.  Lots of Zumba and Nia, which from what I read, are like a grown-up version of the dance party.  And Stairmasters would be absolutely prohibited.

1 comment:

  1. "Is it normal to remember food in such detail? Or a sign of food obsession channeled in a different direction?"

    "Not that there's anything wrong with that."

    And OMGosh, you have a fantastic idea for a gym. Now you only need a million dollars to fund it.

    ReplyDelete