Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Tuesday 17 August 2010

Talk of the Table
Debby asked for details about the yogurt shop.  It's called "Nano's Yogurt Shack."  It has a very cute interior - a beach/tropical theme.  It's not a self-serve place; the owner mentioned that self-serve tends to be messy and that kids tend to serve themselves too large (and therefore over-priced) portions.  They have 9 different flavors, one of which was the double-chocolate "Carbolite".  As for toppings, you'd think I'd have noticed whether or not they had nuts!  I think I was just in shock that they had something of which I could enjoy more than just a couple of bites.  It looked to me that they mostly had candy and fresh fruit.  (Thing 1 got gummy bears and Thing 2 got marshmallows.) I wish they had nutritional data posted on their yogurt offerings; maybe I'll ask about it next time I'm there, it might be something they can keep on a laminated card and provide on request.  They're not a chain store and they don't have a web site, so not something I can look up online.

About the Hiatus
Sorry to have been so vague the other day.  I don't like announcing when we're going out of town, although I'm sure many of you figured out that's what was going on!  I was also flying solo; Mr. Handsome-and-Handy was in Michigan, so I had The Things all to myself.  I took photos of my food during some of the weekend, but that pretty much went "poof!" when we left on our trip to Lompoc.

I'm happy to say that food was only the focus at dinner time; breakfasts, lunches, and snacks tended to be more "snacky."  I'm not so proud to say that the kids had McDonald's 3/5 days, and not much veggie-wise on our trip.  You should have seen them inhaling their broccoli, though, when we had dinner at home the other night!  And other than our driving days, we got lots of play time at the pool and park.  I think next time, I'm going to bring some pre-steamed broccoli and heat it up for them for lunches.

Oh, and the triathlon went great!  I had a blast!  More on that later over on "Opposite Life."

Anyhow, it's back to our regularly scheduled feeding...



Breakfast:  A pastrami and cheddar omlette with 1 slice of flax toast with butter and sugar-free apricot jam,
plus two mugs of Kona Joe coffee.  Oh, it's good to have Mr. Handsome-and-Handy back!!!  (I had a 3rd mug of coffee + half-and-half + almond milk when I arrived at work.)  This held me for 5 hours!



Lunch:  I decided to not bring my al pastor plate leftovers, and instead went to Whole Foods!  I shopped hungry.  Hot food bar items are 1 chunk of sweet & sour chicken, 1/3 plate of Mongolian tofu (meh...a little heavy on the overly-sweet sauce), 1/3 plate Asian greens, and 2/3 plate grilled veggies on a bed of raw spinach and minced green onions.  And a strawberry Olade.



I also had an ounce of turkey jerky!  Yum!

***ATTENTION WALNUT-O-HOLICS!  Please proceed quickly to "Dinner."  Move along, people, nothing to see here....  ***



Afternoon snack:  Iced coffee with walnuts.



What is it about kale dehydrated with nut/seed-based stuff that makes me want to eat entire packages of the stuff?  It must be the fat/salt/sour/bitter combination of the ingredients.  I know I'm not big on kale cooked, unless it's simmered into submission in a soup.  I've tried making it myself at home roasted in the oven, and it's just not the same.  Maybe it needs dehydration to not be quite so bitter.  Anyhow, I couldn't find my usual chili lime flavor, so I tried the tahini one, and it was good.  I also appreciated that it lived up to its "stem free" advertising - kale stems get really tough, and some of the dehydrated stuff has big ol' hunks of stem.  Here's a ditty in their honor (Cheech and Chong fans may know the tune...):

"No stems on which
My tongue will impale;
'Cosmic Crunchies':
It's darn fine kale!"



And more walnuts.  I feel like I'm an eating machine today!



Dinner:  Grilled peppers & onions, green salad with Italian and extra vinegar, and a veggie patty with cheese. We got to bring home some leftover uncooked stuff from the picnic, and I don't remember the brand, but I was surprised at how carb friendly the veggie burger was.  They were a little dry and the flavor was bland, but cheese and mustard helped.  Maybe grilling isn't the best way to cook them.



That was a lot of peppers & onions!  I saved these to go with my lunch tomorrow.



Mmmm, blueberries!  (Mr. Handsome-and-Handy and The Things went to Costco yesterday, so we now have a lot of these.)



...Whew!  The Costco-sized mac nuts weren't open yet.  So I ate a few pecans left over from the bag of nuts Mr. H&H had on his flight.



And a few peanut butter-filled pretzels with 15 chocolate chips.

1 comment:

  1. Very funny. I am a walnut-o-holic and not ashamed to admit it. I would be ashamed to admit it if and/or when I regain 100 pounds JUST by eating vast amounts of walnuts.

    And the iced coffee? Did I tell you how wonderful the Starbuck's Via Iced coffee is? I have enjoyed it as an afternoon snack very much.

    Thanks for the yogurt shop report. Yes, I like to see the nutritionals too, because when you see them, the yogurt ranges from 60-120 calories per 1/2 cup at the same shop.

    ReplyDelete