Thursday, August 26, 2010

Wednesday 25 August 2010

Yeay, it's Back to School!  I sure appreciated the votes of confidence in the comments.  Amazingly, I think it really did help to write it out there that I was feeling anxious about the new school year.  (Well, that, and we finished the macadamia nuts...)


Breakfast:  With the kids safely ensconced in school, Mr. Handsome-and-Handy and I headed down to Alice's Restaurant (yep, one of several named for the Arlo Guthrie song) for a morning breakfast date!  We got what we wanted: we split the Mexican Scramble (yum!  I jazzed mine up further with Jalapeno Tabasco) and I had about 1/4 cup of hash browns and 1/4 of that cinnamon coffee cake.  (It was truly massive...it looks a lot smaller in that picture.)  And coffee.  Love the coffee mug!  This held me until after my lunchtime CardioSculpt class (although I did take a 6 carb grams electrolyte beverage to class and sipped on that...not as hot outside today and the gym was cool, but I was being extra careful after yesterday's stupidity).


Lunch:  I knew we'd have a big breakfast, so I was glad Mr. H&H packed me a light salad!  I threw in an apple and a couple of cheese sticks, plus one handful of walnuts from my desk drawer.  I had to throw away one of the cheese sticks, because it was past code date!  (Luckily I looked before I swallowed that first bite!)  Salad had about 2 Tbsp of lite Italian dressing.


I was still hungry, so I had one more handful of walnuts.


Late afternoon snack:  1 square of Valrhona chocolate and some more walnuts (about a half a handful).  And I thought I'd eat less of walnuts than I do other nuts, because they're not as salty!  Hmmm.  

A Digression (Rationalization?) on Nuts:
Note to Geneene Roth:  Eating all the nuts I want is not making me stop wanting them and moving on to other things.  Just sayin'.  Then again, I'm no longer trying to do that with cookies, but that was more of a mind decision to help the poor body, rather than a natural desire.  (Although I can now forget about the presence of most types of cookies in the house, as long as they are out of sight, but I think that's more a habit thing.  I hardly ever forget the nuts.)  So it's either (1) nuts are one of the new categories of food that I can eat that won't mess with my blood glucose levels or (2) nuts are what my body needs or (3) a mixture of both.  

How can nuts be what my body needs?  I wondered about that, and once I looked up once the nutrients on pecans, because I so powerfully craved them for a time.  Walnuts and pecans are both great sources of the mineral manganese.  So maybe I have a greater need for manganese than average?  Actual manganese deficiency is not a common thing, but two of its symptoms are impaired glucose tolerance and osteoporosis.  That may also explain the thing I have for dehydrated kale crunchies, too...although I have to say, I don't crave kale in general, and the kale crunchies tend to be made with things like sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, and/or ground cashews.  See?  There are the nuts again.  I love but do not crave pineapple, which is an even better source of manganese than nuts.


Dinner:  About 1 cup of broccoli with butter+canola spread (I think...forgot to ask Mr. H&H what he put on it) and 4 oz. steak with A1 sauce.  And milk!

Not pictured:  Later on, I had the last of the 7-layer cookie bars, a 1x1/2 inch rectangle, and I ate a couple of tiny strawberries from our plant.

At bedtime, my tummy was rumbling something fierce, so I tested.  Blood glucose was 97, so I ignored it.

And that's it!  It really simplifies the blogging process when I have only 5 photos, because that's how many I can email to my blog in one email from my phone.  Maybe "day of eating, in 5 photos or less" should be on my goal list?

No comments:

Post a Comment