Monday, August 9, 2010

Thursday 5 August 2010


Breakfast:  2 slices flax toast, with cheese broiled on top and a little butter/canola on the dry spots.  Decaf coffee with almond milk and half-and-half.  I had a cup of full caff when I got to the office, with half-and-half.

(Mr. Handsome-and-Handy switched to decaf awhile ago, and I used up the last of the unopened regular coffee at home.  When school starts back up, I'll drink green tea in the morning and have a cup of coffee at work if I feel like I really want it.  Because honestly?  I was really dragging by the time I got to work.)

This is still my plain ol' phone camera, so it's not the greatest photo, but I like the composition.  The lights in our kitchen seem to be dying, so I needed some light, and popped this into the kitchen window.



Lunch:  Now this is a sad statement.  Picture the lovely salad of last night, the handsomely grilled tri-tip, the mushrooms, the steak sauce.  Picture me chugging along at work, realizing, "Oh, heck!  I only have 10 minutes until that 2-hour meeting!"  Picture me bolting this food, lovingly packed by Mr. Handsome-and-Handy, before said meeting.  Picture me lightly smacking my forehead, realizing I'd left my phone (with camera) back at my desk, without time to go back and get a picture.  D'oh!



At the meeting:  The consolation prize was an ice cream social at the meeting.  It was pretty easy to resist the standard toppings, because they were all candy I knew I remembered more fondly than they deserved.  I did have a little ice cream, though.


Here's my bowl before I threw it away.  The dulce de leche was too sweet, but I had no problem with the dabs of mocha-cappuccino and the chocolate.  (The chocolate was best.)



(For Biz:  We're having our company picnic tomorrow, and I had to get a photo of the huge bag of jalapeno peppers.  I'll be eating some tomorrow!)



Post-meeting snack:  For 2 hours, ice cream bars and large containers of ice cream sat melting during our meeting, even though it was in bowls of ice.  I felt that "energy buzz" that I read about recently, and I felt mildly anxious for some reason.  I didn't buy the stuff, so it's not like my money was being wasted.  I remember feeling like it was something that should be saved, and I don't know where that feeling came from.  It wasn't the last ice cream in the world.  And it didn't need to be rescued...as if going in my stomach was going to "rescue" it, somehow?

By the end of the meeting, I don't think I was super hungry, but I was a little hungry.  I was thinking fondly of the apple at my desk.  Then I remembered the thing I really felt like:  peanut butter and chocolate.  Probably because I'd been anxious about the ice cream...wishing I'd had a little more, I suppose, plus passing up the cookie tray, because I was having ice cream.  (I'm probably overanalyzing this a little, thanks Thich Nhat Hanh and Geneene Roth.)  I softened up a little of the natural peanut butter I keep in the fridge, using the microwave oven, and added some wheat germ.  (Which is why it looks so funky.)  And I had some Valrhona 71% dark chocolate.  Peanut butter holds its own a lot more effectively with dark chocolate than does almond butter.



And this lonely little fellow, the peanut butter-filled pretzel.  His 9 siblings are sitting in a tiny cup on my bookshelf, saved for another day.


Dinner:  I thought it was going to be leftover night at Casa del Pubsfolk.  But Thing 2 wanted to make me dinner, a peanut butter and sugar-free jam on flax bread toast.  Dinner plans gladly changed!


The salad course, made by Thing 2 and her LPS monkey friends.


I also had half of this piece of cheese (extra sharp cheddar) and a handful of peanuts, while waiting for...


...roasted eggplant!  Oh, how I love this stuff, and these ones were so tasty.  They were a short, squat variety, and I forget the name, but they were lighter purple than your standard eggplant.

Something food does not do:  Cure DOMs, much as I keep thinking, "If I just eat the right thing, my body will immediately feel better."  I'm still not sure if Cardio Sculpt class is going to make me stronger or kill me first, because every inch of my body is in pain today.  I think skipping Pilates on Tuesday was a really good call.

1 comment:

  1. Oh goodie. Some new episodes of Pubsgal Eats. I went into a little withdrawal there over the weekend. Too funny, the dinner made by Thing 2. And her 'mormon monkeys'--that's what I thought you wrote at first. I guess I'm not with it enough to know what all these abbreviations are. What is DOM? Oh yeah, its something about muscle pain after the exercise?

    I've never had roasted eggplant. I think I have a prejudice against it because of the word 'egg' in it. Plus all of us kids hated it when my mom fixed it for my dad...it was dipped in egg and then flour and then fried. Yuck. But there's probably nothing at all wrong with the vegetable. I'll have to give it another try. I'll get one at the Farmer's Market on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete