Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Monday 9 August 2010


Pre-run snack: 1/4 banana.


Post-run breakfast: 1/4 c. each oat bran and flax seed, 2 Tbsp peanut butter, 2 Tbsp sugar-free maple syrup, 1 tsp inulin powder. 1 donut hole, reheated 10 seconds in the microwave.  Decaf coffee with almond milk and half-and-half. (Not shown: the cup of fully leaded stuff with half-and-half and almond milk when I got to work. I went decaf at home mainly because we don't really need to buy it anymore, since Mr. H&H has gone decaf and my caff needs are well met by tea at home and coffee at work.)


Pre-lunch errand snack: Kashi TLC peanut peanut butter bar. I liked this. It was sweet but not sickly so, with a mild nutty taste and chewy, grainy texture. (And it was free, from the break room at work.) The nutritionals are good! 140 calories, 5 grams fat, 19 grams carb (4 fiber, 5 sugar), and 7 grams of protein. I snagged another one for my work cache.

(I'll have to do a photo essay about my food caches one of these days. It's one of those behavioral things that makes me say, "Hmmm. Why having a an emergency box with 6 cans of soup, 2 boxes containing packets of Indian food, and a bag with several mini Luna bars and a couple of packets of fruit protein smoothie powder makes me feel safer I'm not sure, but I guess that's just the way I roll. Those soups won't be very portable if I have to walk home after 'The Big One' (presuming I can get out of the building and walk), but whatever.")


Post-shopping lunch: Panda Express' "Panda Bowl" with mixed veggies and Eggplant & Tofu. Eaten outside on the patio. (It was a lovely day. Why more people weren't availing themselves of the food court patio was beyond me!)

Seriously, I need to go buy a lotto ticket or something. After doing some shopping errands, I stopped by Panda Express in the mall food court. I used to always get their Panda Bowl with mixed veggies and orange chicken. A full serving of orange chicken is just not a choice I want to make these days, although the Eggplant & Tofu wasn't the best lower-carb choice on the menu. (It was quite tasty, though.) As I wandered over, I thought to myself, "Oh, how I would love just one piece of orange chicken again! And what do you know? They were giving out samples on a toothpick. It was still "all that," but I suspect any more would have been all too much.


Dinner: Pork chop (au jus in the little bowl) and broccoli with spicy Thai peanut sauce (2 tsp), and a lovely spinach salad with spicy Thai peanut sauce (1 tsp) diluted with vinegar.

 (A baby food jar worked great as a little salad dressing shaker. I usually don't think to use one when diluting vinaigrette dressings, but it would work great. If you don't have babies to feed the baby food, you could always get a little meat one and share it with canine or feline friends. Just be sure to get the first stage stuff, because it doesn't have any seasonings - pretty much just meat and starch and water - check the ingredients. Or you could get a fruit one and add it to oatmeal or put it in a smoothie.)


Dessert: Peanuts and 15 chocolate chips.

2 comments:

  1. Question: a quarter of a banana is enough to fuel you/hold you over for a run first thing in the morning? I would be afraid I would be just ravenous when i finished and/or I wouldn't have the energy to finish the run .

    Great idea for the use of peanut sauce--love that stuff. And I love the baby food jar idea too.

    Wait. Did you count the peanut-influenced foods in your diet today? That is funny. Even when you're not eating nuts, you're eating nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the baby food jar shaker! Actually what a great way to pack a salad for lunch - just shake before eating :D

    When I worked in downtown Chicago I was at Panda Express probably 3 times a week! That was a long time ago - they may have better options now.

    ReplyDelete