Monday, August 9, 2010

Sunday 8 August 2010



Breakfast:  Decaf coffee with half-and-half, 2 slices flax toast (one with sugar-free apricot jam), sausage gravy, a donut hole, and half of the pictured bit of chocolate glazed twist.



Lunch:  Apple with Swiss Laughing Cow Lite and peanut butter.



Here are the same apple halves, with their cheese (sadly, we were out of walnuts, Debby!) and peanut butter.



I shared some of these almonds with Thing 1...



...and peanuts...



...with 15 chocolate chips.  (Guittard makes the absolute best ever semisweet chocolate chips.  Did you know that they are a supplier to See's?)



Dinner:  We went to Round Table Pizza.  I had one trip to the salad bar...



...and I stripped the toppings off some pieces of meat pizza and cheese pizza.  I also had half of a garlic bread stick.


Dessert:  We went to Baskin Robbins for dessert.  I had a yen for Peanut Butter & Chocolate ice cream, which I hadn't had in ages.  So Mr. Handsome-and-Handy and I split a kids' scoop.  I shared some with Thing 1, also, and the kids gave me microscopic tastes of their flavors.  And unlike old times, that was plenty.  The peanut butter part tasted pretty good, but you know?  The chocolate part was kind of overwhelmed by the peanut butter part.  Not exactly like I had remembered.  It just wasn't "all that" anymore.

I think this is where the power of really being aware of what I'm eating, taking time to notice how it tastes, and in not creating "forbidden foods" comes into play for me.  This is something that I started growing toward  when I was diagnosed, and what do you know?  It's discussed in Savor and WF&G.  I've become more particular.  I probably won't have a yen anymore for what used to be my favorite ice cream ever.  I know that if I really, really want some, I can have some more, unless BR's goes out of business.  And if it does?  Well, there are certainly other worthy flavors out there besides 31.  And I am free (FREE!) to choose an amount that will not make me sick (now and in the long term).  Looking back, you'd think each time was the last time I was ever going to get Baskin Robbins' Peanut Butter & Chocolate ice cream, because I would eat it until I felt kind of sick.

2 comments:

  1. Now I had to go and check my chocolate chips out. Yes, I really like Guitard. But I also have a bag of Ghirardelli 62% that I like. They are bigger chips. And I feel virtuous eating them because they are 62%.

    IDK, Pubsgal. Decaf coffee and NO WALNUTS. It just doesn't seem right.

    I like your last paragraph about being aware of what you are eating and realizing that old favorites aren't all that any more. I still have to make myself think about it though. Not automatic at all most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome about not having forbidden foods. I also found that giving myself permission to eat those foods actually makes me decide *not* to eat them. Sometimes it is just a comfort to know that I could eat them if I want at any time. Kind of like having a choice, you know?

    ReplyDelete