Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Monday 23 August 2010

Talk of the Table

Lori noted that I use almond milk in my coffee quite a lot, and asked, "Do you drink milk?"

I love milk! But I find that I don't drink it very often, because 8 oz. has 15 grams of carb (1 carb exchange), and I'm rarely satisfied with only 1 cup of milk. And in the morning, when I was starting out, I was super sensitive to carbs, so I used half-and-half in my coffee. But that's kind of calorie dense, so I tried cutting it with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, which has way less carbs per serving than milk. Plus I like how it tastes in coffee.

Foodie McBody asked if I'd share my secret for creating captions on my pictures. The short answer is that I have a screen capture tool called "SnagIt" (inexpensive and excellent!). In its editor mode, one of the tools is a Callouts tool. It has several options, like thought bubbles and speech bubbles. That's how I add captions to photos. It isn't the greatest for hard-core photo editing; for example, it doesn't have one of those lasso tools that you can use for selecting odd shapes (the Paint program that comes with MS Word does, however). If your graphics tool doesn't have captions, you could always create an oval and a triangle and connect the two, then make a text box with a clear border and add text to it. If anyone is interested, I could post a little tutorial with the steps.



Breakfast:  I did my workout on the exercise bike this morning, and I got really hungry!  So it was the usual spackle, plus Kona Joe coffee (not decaf!) with almond milk and half-and-half.



...And a donut hole.  (10 seconds in the microwave made it a little too hot to handle!)



Mid-morning: Chia powder in green tea!


Lunch:  I have no idea how this got so overexposed!  This was a couple of leftover polish dogs, half a package of frozen Tuscan veggie mix, and about 2 Tbsp of lite Italian dressing.

Frozen veggie mixes + leftover meat = easiest packed lunch ever!



I also had an apple and some walnuts.



Late afternoon: About 2 Tbsp peanut butter, 2 Tbsp wheat germ, and 1 square of Valrhona dark chocolate.



Mid-evening:  Mr. Handsome-and-Handy said it was "fend for yourself" dinner tonight, and I was working late, and I knew I'd need to help with gearing the kids back into an earlier bedtime...in other words, not a lot of time for dallying over dinner.  So a "Jayb" (1/2 of a Jaybar) before I went home.



Really late dinner:  I wasn't hungry when I got home, so I went straight to bedtime duty.  I read the end of one of the "Pet Fairies" books to Thing 2, then a whole other one.  They're about 60 pages of easy chapter reading, with pictures on each page, but it's still a lot of reading out loud.  After a little over an hour of reading, the vocal cords were kaput!  So Mr. H&H took over, and I had a little bedtime snack:  3 sticks of cheddar cheese, a handful of cherry tomatoes, and (...yes, Lori, I DO drink milk!) a little glass of milk.  And then I had some almonds.  Thing 2 was asleep, but I was well-fueled to help Thing 1 get to sleep.  We talked a little, and then I read him the meditation in the appendixes of Savor to help him relax.  Does anyone know of any kid resources about learning to meditate?  It seems like most of the stuff I've read is geared toward adults, and it seems like it would be a really useful life skill for kids.

1 comment:

  1. I used to love milk - one of the law firms I worked at used to provide milk, orange juice, bagels, peanut butter and jelly in each of its lunch rooms. I'd drink 4, 8 ounce glasses a day - then one day my body revolted and said "no more!"

    Now I sneak some in my coffee but I do miss it!

    ReplyDelete