Monday, August 2, 2010

Saturday 31 July 2010


Breakfast:  2 slices of my flax toast, with butter-canola spread and sugar-free apricot jam.  I had 3 mugs of coffee with half-and-half and almond milk throughout the day.


We stayed up really late watching our movie, and Mr. Handsome-and-Handy was more tired than hungry. So we didn't do the full brunch thing.  I did make the Saturday bacon.  I had these...


...and this half-piece that I shared with the cat.


Lunch:  No, this wasn't quite it.  This is the proxy for french fry I ate on the way back from McDonald's and the pickle off of my son's hamburger.


Here's my lunch.  I finally tried a "Green Monster" smoothie!  Half a banana, half a cup of blueberries, 2 Tbsp flax seed meal, 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder, a handful of spinach, and 2 cups of unsweetened vanilla almond breeze.  Vrrrrrrrr!!!


I also had these strawberries from our plants.  (The tomatoes are thriving, but I don't think we'll have any ready until later August/September.  Tomatoes are a fall harvest thing here on the coast.  They're actually all doing pretty well!)


Here's what it looks like all blended up.  I took this photo outside, hoping to show the lovely green color better, but it has kind of a grey cast to it in the photo. *sigh*.  Some observations:  Overall, it was tasty and filling!  It didn't look quite as smooth as expected, there were darker green bits and tiny blue bits, kind of like confetti!  I didn't taste the blueberries at all...sort of a waste to put them there.  I tasted mostly sweet (from the banana and the powder) and almond (from the almond milk).  The flax seed added a bit of a gritty texture, but it wasn't bad.  I would definitely make this again, but I would omit the blueberries and add some cocoa powder.


Snack: Leftover hot wings...


...and decaf coffee with half-and-half.


Dinner: Mr. Handsome-and-Handy smoked up a rack of ribs. I enjoyed these, plus another little one, with BBQ sauce. Spinach and tomato salad dressed with caesar dressing and sprinkled with shredded romano and minced green onions.


Dessert: 1-1/3 serving of Clemmy's no-sugar-added ice cream. I'd had their coffee flavor before, and then our New Leaf market (similar to Whole Foods) seemed to no longer be carrying it...but this last trip, I found it again (repackaged in pint-sized containers instead of quart-sized). So I bought the chocolate flavor and the toasted almond flavor. Hmmm. The toasted almond tasted a little too strongly like almond extract. The chocolate flavor was quite tasty, though...very rich. It may be no-sugar-added, but it is full fat.

1 comment:

  1. Did the green smoothie hold you as well as a regular meal? I like them but can't decide if they really hold me over.

    ReplyDelete