Monday, August 2, 2010

Sunday 1 August 2010


Breakfast:  Mr. Handsome-and-Handy took care of the morning stuff while I slept in.  He made coffee (his decaf) and some sausage+gravy.  I had 2 cups of coffee with half-and-half, the sausage, and the toast (flax bread, both with butter/canola spread, and one with sugar-free apricot jam)


I also enjoyed a donut hole and this small piece of my daughter's chocolate glazed twist.


Lunch:  I felt like something simple and non-meat.  I had a pink lady apple and some peanut butter...


...and I shared half a package of these with Thing 2.  I'm getting a lot less possessive of my food, although I notice I still get a little tense when asked to share something I've portioned out already.  *sigh*...and why?  I'm not insulin dependent, so it's not like I'm going to go careening to a low if I don't get the exact amount of what I've measured out, nor am I calorie counting.  And like I couldn't measure out a little *more* if I wanted more?


...everyone was eating some M&Ms after lunch, so I had 15 chocolate chips and some peanuts.


In the afternoon, we kidnapped Mr. Handsome-and-Handy's brother for a birthday bowling outing!  (He and his wife have 2 college kids; she and their eldest were at on a Sierra Service Project mission, and their youngest was working, so we commandeered his quiet day.)  All of these kids enjoyed the outing quite a lot. Thing 1 bowled exceptionally well, and Thing 2 flung bowling balls at pins with great enthusiasm.  (Thank goodness for lane bumpers.)


I ate one french fry (meh) and 4 of these onion rings.  They were quite tasty.


Dinner:  After we got back, we decided fish would be a nice dinner.  We picked up a family pack from Flying Fish Grill (which includes fries, cole slaw-yuck, and fish).  I ate way more fries than I usually do (symbolically pictured above), because they had the potato skin on them, and I have a thing for potato skin.


Here's my plate.  I ended up eating two planks of fried fish and this nice salad I got myself.


Dessert:  I had a scoop of the chocolate Clemmy's and about 1" of the supermarket bakery bundt cake.  The cake was not worthy, so why did I keep eating it?  The clean plate habit is pernicious.

How I Felt:  The weekend was pleasant, and many of the foods novel, but I felt kind of sick to my stomach later.  Just way too much rich food over the weekend.  I went for a walk in the evening, and it helped me feel a little better, but I'm so ready for simpler, weekday eating.

Thoughts:  I'm thinking I need to work on breaking myself of the clean plate habit; for me, and to model better behavior for my kids.  Remember that "habit energy" thing?  Yeah, that ingrained "clean plate" thing is still there.  Half of that last fish plank I ate was because fried fish does not reheat well; I wasn't even hungry for it.  We don't insist on clean plates, although we will urge the less food-interested Thing 2 to eat a little a few bites of the veggie and protein things on her plate.  But what they *see* is us, eating everything on our plates.  Part of this is because I got into the habit of measuring out exact portions, but really, it's not going to upset any delicate balance if I leave a symbolic bite or two on my plate.

I also noticed that, while I've gotten better at this, I don't (nor did I ever) need to eat the same amount as the guys.  It kind of makes me laugh to myself now.  Where did this perceived need for "keeping up with the Joes" come from?  Was I worried that they'd eat it all and there wouldn't be enough left for me?  (Maybe...I did date a guy who would eat off my plate.  I used to save my favorite bits for a last taste of something yummy, and that dude would snap 'em up.  Honestly, I should have stabbed his hand with my fork one of those times.)  It's not like all the food would be gone forever.  Did I think they needed the company?  Whatever caused that habit, it served me about as well as feigning a dainty appetite would do.  How much or how little I eat isn't going to make anyone like me more or less than they already do.  (Unless, of course, the "anyone" is a jerk, and who wants to deal with that crap?)  

2 comments:

  1. What are these little donut holes? Do you make these, or are they like the Entemann's kind?

    The clean plate thing. I struggle with a bit as a calorie counter because I have my portion of food planned out, so I tend to eat it all. That can create a problem with dining out or in social situations.

    Have you read the Beck Diet book? One of the exercises she has in there is to make a plate for yourself with a lot of extra food on it and only eat part of it and see how you feel about it. That's something I never did do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same way, although since I am insulin dependent, I'm like "get your own food!" That being said, no reason I can't go back and portion out some more for myself.

    I tend to do the opposite - since my husband is a big guy, I tend to fill his plate to the gills - I gave him FOUR pieces of chicken to my two - and most of the time I don't even notice I am doing it.

    Mmmm...fries with the skin on - one of my favs too!

    ReplyDelete