Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Monday 20 September 2010


Breakfast:  2 slices of flax toast (with sugar free jam, butter/canola spread) and leftover sausage gravy and some tea.  I was really hungry; this was after an hour of DVD workouts (some weights, some dancy stuff, some yoga - nothing terribly intense) on a cup of coffee with half-and-half and almond milk.


Pre-errand lunch:  Pistachios...


...and it seemed kind of silly to leave this little bit in the bag.

Well, I didn't find exactly what I was looking for at the fabric store, but I found some yarns I think will work for Chloe's doggie sweater.  I was thinking purple, but I saw this pom-pom novelty yarn that I thought would look great on a sweater collar, and the yarn I found to match is a deep raspberry/plum color.  I think the gauge patch-for non-knitters, it's a little sample square that helps you make sure that the size of needles and yarn that you're using measures the same as your pattern-that I knit will determine whether it's going to work or not.  (Yes, I'm the kind of knitter that has to do gauge patches.  I knit a baby sweater for a friend of mine, and well, it turned out looking like a little bolero jacket.  I think she did get a lot of wear out of it, because the sleeves were really long, so my friend just unrolled them as her baby grew....)


Post-errand lunch:  Green salad with some green beans and tomatoes and celery, with balsamic vinaigrette and extra vinegar, non-fat Greek-style yogurt with a mandarin orange and wheat germ and cinnamon, and 2 wedges from yesterday's quesadilla.


Dinner:  Chicken legs and cauliflower with my usual olive oil, garlic, salt, and garam marsala.

Side note:  This was the first item cooked on our new grill!  Mr. Handsome-and-Handy noted that our old grill's burners had huge holes in the back, which shot flames out of them when the grill was on.  Our old grill was 4 years old, and we use it more than our oven.  (Heck, one time when the power was out, he DID use it as an oven, and grilled us some cinnamon rolls!)  He had already done a parts overhaul on it once, and he felt that it wouldn't be safe to do so again.  So he researched propane grills and chose a Weber Q220.  It got good ratings on Consumer Reports, and he liked that it could fold up (portable, in case we ever try camping), had a cast-iron cooking grate, could either use a small propane bottle or attach to a larger tank, and is supposed to be fuel efficient.  When we received it, he was a little bummed that it didn't seem to sit very firmly on the plastic base (which was sold separately) - so he added some screws to secure it.  He also felt that seemed a little bit heavy for something that's supposed to be portable.  The size looks just right for us, and if we have a lot of people over, we can always grill in advance and keep stuff warm in the oven.  So we'll be putting it to the long-term test; so far so good, though!  Mr. H&H said the heat was even and there were no flare-ups on the chicken.  

I got really hungry again at bedtime.  (I was hungry before then, but too busy with the family evening business.)  Been there, lost sleep, so I ate some stuff this time, and it helped.  Not enough to get stuffed or even feel full really, but this took the edge off, and I didn't lay awake telling my stomach to hush already.



Bedtime snack:  A spoonful of almond butter while my toast cooked.  Not shown are the 6 chocolate chips I dug out of the cupboard mid-chew and popped in there with the almond butter.



And here's my toast with almond butter and sugar-free jam.  Ah, that hit the spot!

No comments:

Post a Comment