Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Monday 27 September 2010

Talk of the Table

Thanks for the feedback on the weekend post!  I am finding this blog valuable for identifying patterns, Lori, although sometimes I'm a little slow in responding to them.

My whole waffling episode kind of reminds me of the discussion of "bloggers as role models," which I still see popping up.  Some of the diabetes bloggers also post a similar question, how can I be a good advocate when I'm not managing my diabetes very well?  In my case, I feel like I'm managing the diabetes pretty well and staying the same weight-wise...but would I have gotten good results by following what I do now when I was first diagnosed?  I'm not so sure.  I was much more spot-on right after diagnosis, as I learned what did/didn't work for me.  My physical conditioning was still gradually building up, too, and it's made a huge difference in how I'm managing the diabetes aspect of things.  Sometimes it's scary to think about the unknowns...I mean, I've done a lot of reading and choose to manage my numbers pretty conservatively, but will that even be "good enough" to avoid the nasty complications?  Only time will tell me that.

But to circle around, what's the purpose of this blog?  I'd say its main purpose is to be an accountability tool for myself.  And hopefully share some laughs.  (I think laughter is the main thing, for me, that helps keep vigilance from becoming drudgery.  And knowing I'm not alone in all this, too.)

P.S. I loved the squirt bottle suggestion, Debby!  "Bad kittehs!"


Breakfast:  Good heavens, am I in a rut or what???


The real deal!  This was from the coffee place near where I live, because I ran some errands in town before heading to work.  It's a mix of their flavored chocolate raspberry coffee and French roast - yum!


Pre-workout snack:  A mini-Luna bar.  I got a box of these on sale earlier this year, after the holidays; they're chocolate peppermint stick and pretty tasty.  They were in my emergency kit, but they expire on October 26, so I had to dig them out and put them in the desk drawer cache.

My workout today was a nice swim.  My ankle/back of calf was bothering me again after Friday's treadmill run, and with all the Saturday activity, I didn't rest it too well.  I skipped my long run on Sunday to rest it, and decided swimming today would be good for it.  It's really hot here this week, so I was surprised that there weren't more lap swimmers at the pool.  Loved this!  (Lap swimming reminds me of knitting:  when you're in the mood for it, it's fun; when you're not, it feels tedious.)


Lunch:  Whole Foods treasures!  For the record, I went 1 month and 10 days...although I did go to New Leaf late last week, so not sure I'd count it as a full 10 days.  Anyhow, it was great to be back!  They had coconut water on sale, so I bought a couple; I stocked up on electrolyte water; I got 2 packages of dehydrated kale snacks (they didn't have the crunchies, so I went for a couple of other brands) and an Olade and some beef jerky.  I felt a slight pull toward the dark chocolate, but I didn't buy any this time.  I figured we've still got some chocolate chips at home if I really want some later on.

So today I ate the "Cheezy Kale Earth Chips".  Very tasty, a few more stems than I like, but not too bad.  As Debby astutely observed once, "Even when you're not eating nuts, you're eating nuts."  These are made with cashews!  And nutritional yeast for the cheezy flavor.  I liked that I could recognize all of the ingredients on the package.  I also observed the nutritionals really vary among these kale products.  This one's 1-ounce serving was 35 calories:  2 grams fat, 3 grams carb, and 2 grams protein.  (I ate the whole 3-oz. package.)  Others I've tried have as many calories in one ounce as these do in the whole bag!  I think maybe they use a higher percentage of nut products in the coating.  I also think I need to seriously consider getting a dehydrator.  I've tried making kale chips in the oven, but they tasted burnt and icky, and they never quite got to light crispiness.

The Olade today was pomegranate.  I re-discovered that even a chronic label reader can have something slip past, especially on an item that's same brand that you assume is very low sugar, but with a different flavor.  This one had more fruit juice than the others; the whole bottle was 10 grams sugar from the 14% pomegranite juice; but divided across its 2 servings (riiiiiiight..), the label of course said 5 grams of sugar.  I tested later and was good; whew!  I'd been anxious about a juice spike, but I guess with the other things (and the swim), it evened out okay.

Oh, and I also had a helping of my edamame.

This was an insanely satisfying lunch!

On the way home:  I saw the funniest thing.  I tried to get some pictures, but the iPhone camera makes everything look a zillion miles away.  The gym has a class called "Boing with Kangoo,"  where they use these bouncy exercise boots.  I think my experience with it would be more like "Take Out My Tailbone with Kangoo," because they're really tall and I'm afraid I'd fall on my posterior.  So I passed a whole pack of Kangoos "joinging" around the neighborhood in these funky boot things.


Dinner: Pork chop with barbecue sauce, green beans, and grilled pumpkin!  Yes, Mr. H&H got a cooking pumpkin at Farmer John's and cooked up half of it on the grill.  It was tasty!  I had my veggies with butter/canola spread on them.


Dessert:  Aw, the last of the Clemmy's no-sugar-added ice cream.  I shared this bit with the kids, too.  Thing 1 shared a tiny nibble of his ice cream cookie sandwich with me, too.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about being a role model. Since I do take insulin, I can eat whatever I want, which is both good and bad. But I can't tell you how many emails I get asking how I can eat so many carbs - each person handles their diabetes differently, and its not a one size fits all lifestyle.

    Grilled pumpkin? That's a new one for me!

    ReplyDelete