Monday, September 13, 2010

Saturday 11 September - Sunday 12 September, 2010

Well, this past weekend was not the epitome of nutritional virtue, nor of optimal photo-logging, but it was a wonderful celebration of Thing 1's birthday and saw some exercise awesomeness, so I'm content.  Here's a summary....

Saturday 11 September



Saturday breakfast:  Mr. Handsome-and-Handy made some pancakes from scratch.  I didn't feel like making my protein ones, so I had one of these.  I also had some eggs with cheese and leftover salsa on top, and some bacon.  Oh, and coffee...regular, since we were going to be herding cats taking 6 kids to the bowling alley that afternoon.

Before we went, I also had a cheese stick and some salsa, eaten with a spoon like a textured gazpacho.  Yum.


One of many blurry and dark bowling alley photos.  


Dinner:  As per our family custom of dysfunctional pizza eating, I ate the toppings and Thing 2 ate the crust and sauce. (I ate some end crusts, too.)  Also had a few onion rings.

After the bowling, we served up cake & ice cream (I might have licked some frosting and had a bite of Thing 2's cake & ice cream), then made all the kids go outside to play.  We grown-ups had a cold beer, and basked in the satisfaction of a party well-done.

Sunday 12 September



Breakfast:  Up surprisingly bright and early with Thing 2, whom I thought would sleep in later for sure.  It was 6:30 a.m., and I'm sure the purpose must have been to think of Lori and her big, big hill on her charity ride and send her some "strong leg" vibes.  We played a little "go fish," and then went to the donut shop.  I got some real coffee, and had a couple of donut holes...



...and a piece of Thing 2's leftover donut.  I think I might have to take donuts off my menu for awhile, because I'm definitely experiencing some donut-creep.  I also had a handful of peanuts, because I wasn't sure when the Mr. would wake up.


Second breakfast:  I ate like a hobbit today.  (But without the mushrooms.)  So we had some sausage gravy and toast, and I had some sugar-free jam on some of the toast, and I had some decaf coffee.

I suppose it was all for the best, because after I dropped off Thing 2 to her playdate, I got to go for a long (long for me, that is!) run!  I hit the southernmost part of the coastal trail, which goes by the Ritz and through the golf course.  Look familiar?  This was the view from part of the running course of the "Tri the Coast," which I didn't see because I did the bike only.


Poor weather for a photo, great weather for a run!


View from the bridge, where I did go on the bike course.


I didn't feel like being a mountain goat, so I turned back and headed out from the bluffs to the highway, retracing part of the bike route.  I ended up going the same distance as one loop of the bike route - a little over 4.5 miles!  It took a little over an hour, probably from me stopping to walk in spots and taking pictures and all.  Starting next weekend, 4 miles and building are going to become a regular thing.  Ack!

I had a ginger chew mid-way.  I wish I'd brought some water along, but oh well.


Lunch:  Lunch ended up being our dinner, because we ate kind of snacky at the usual dinner time.  (Which ended up being a good thing for my numbers this morning!) Had to use up a tomato; this one's a yummy heirloom, with Italian dressing!


I had 2 carne asada tacos...


...and 1-tortilla quesadilla and some cotija cheese browned in the pan.  It was almost like making a romano cheese cracker, probably because it's such a dry cheese.  It didn't get all gooey.

Later in the afternoon, I had a cookie that I got from a neighbor kids' bake sale.  I really need to stop making pronouncements about being "done" with certain foods, because they only come back to make me laugh at myself later.

Dinner [not shown]:  I had some nuts and a[nother] cookie that Thing 2 baked at her friend's house.  It's just a good thing I did a big run today....

3 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh, beautiful! For one, your food captions make me laugh my head off. Yeah, even food likes to look pretty! The Snoopy plate is adorable (I heart Snoopy) AND those bike pics are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that breakfast looks SOOO much delicious-better than what my husband made me yesterday. It as pure tragedy. But I ate it anyway. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, scenery on the eating blog. Excellent! The pizza comment is still making me laugh. And the 'donut creep.' Think I was experiencing that a little with the frozen yogurt. I had to have a little talk with myself to keep from 'rewarding' myself with frozen yogurt after work today.

    BTW, did I tell you that that was the best bacon I had had in ever so long? Really, just delicious, and cooked just right.

    Good job on the run too!

    ReplyDelete