Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Tuesday 14 September

Talk of the Table

A couple of cool blog items lately...

Lynn Haraldson-Bering shared some of her favorite curry recipes today ("Just Call Me Madam Curry")! They sound so good!  I often just like to sprinkle either curry powder or garam marsala onto vegetables with some olive oil, salt, and garlic powder. (I also enjoy curry powder in chicken salad and in cottage cheese.) I was curious, though, about the difference between curry powder and garam marsala: they taste different, so I knew each was a different blend of spices. The blends can vary quite a lot. I found this article, "What is Curry Powder and Garam Marsala?" helpful in explaining the differences.  I haven't tried a wide variety of blends; I have the standard grocery store brands (well, did, until I used up my Trader Joe's curry powder; I have the Shilling garam marsala).

Biz is doing the Foodbuzz "Project Food Blog", in the quest to be named "Best Food Blog." I'm looking forward to voting for her blog on September 20!

And to answer Juice, I did see your reference to "Princess of Power" it the other day.  I first heard it, though, when Dietgirl Shauna Reid sang the phrase when recalling a moment of triumph one time on a "Two Fit Chicks and a Microphone" episode.  It's a reference to She-Ra: Princess of Power, a mid-80s animated kids show.  I don't even want to know what actual theme song sounds like, because I like hearing Shauna's adorable Aussie-accented rendition in my head.  So it sits in the back of my brain, popping to the foreground whenever I do strong stuff, like replace the water bottle on the water cooler at work, and the like.


Breakfast:  Whoops.  I wolfed down my chorizo and eggs and half of my toast before taking a photo. (I think the "Genius on the Loose" caption on the mug says it all.)


At work:  Regular coffee, half-and-half, chia powder.  (So appetizing, no?)


Wow!  Lots of fruit in the break room this morning.  I noticed that big bowls of fruit seem to be a daily thing now.  (I love that they've shifted away from Pop-tarts.)  I grabbed a couple of figs (to put on yogurt, but I never got around to it, because the chili held me pretty well).


Pre-workout snack:  About an hour before I swam, I had one of the two-bar pack (free from the breakroom).  Meh.  It was sweet and crunchy, like the regular Oats & Honey variety, but the cocoa powder only gave it a hint of chocolate.  What, was I expecting huge dark chocolate chunks?  Oh well.

My ankle was hurting last night.  I was supposed to run today, but I figured it would be more prudent to do something lower impact.  So I went for a swim!  I'm still feeling that awkward lack of routine and felt a mental hurdle to driving to the pool and getting in, but I also felt kind of desperate to do some exercise that wouldn't bother the ankle.  It turns out to be the best thing I could do: it was a beautiful afternoon, and it felt good to be in the water again.  


Post-swim lunch: Here's the other half of a can of chili, with spinach, and 2 oz. leftover pork.  Yum!

Test of the tummy rumbles:  At around 5 p.m., I felt really hungry.  Could I wait until dinner?  Let's take a reading and see...okay, 95.  I can wait.



Dinner:  Chicken legs and salad!



And beer with nuts.


Walnuts sounded good, too.

It really could have been more, but I grabbed some crochet (a tiny green blanket for Thing 2's stuffed animal golden retriever) and kept my hands busy.  The homework vigil was seriously getting to me last night.  I did finish the blanket, though.  (Go, She-Ra, go!)


2 comments:

  1. I keep seeing figs on the internet. That is one of those things that only makes it in dried form up here in the noreast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your descriptions of how you feel pre and post exercise are almost exactly how I feel many days.

    I just gave away another box of 'bars.' The best of them are not as good as the homemade ones. (except jay bars.)

    ReplyDelete