Thursday, September 9, 2010

Wednesday 8 September 2010



Breakfast:  Cheesy omelet, 1 slice flax toast with butter/canola and sugar-free jam, mug of decaf coffee with almond milk and half-and-half.



Pre-workout snack:  One of these did the trick!  I got to the gym early and did a 1-mile warm up on the elliptical before CardioSculpt class.  Love that class!  We did this deceptively simple move where you do this 2-knee kneel, then move one leg forward into a 1-leg kneel, then you rise up from the floor using the forward leg into a stand, then you do the whole thing in reverse.  With weights on your shoulders.  So effective, and functional!  As the instructor says, everyone needs to be able to get up off the floor.

I also took a bottle of water with one low-sugar (4 grams for the whole packet) "fitness packet" - basically very low sugar electrolyte drink mix.  I got the generic Target brand (shown in photo below), but Propel also makes one.  I think it helped to take sips throughout the class and stay hydrated.



Post-workout lunch:  Salad with dressing made from the fresh salsa, 1 nectarine (yum!), and 2 sticks of cheese.

Afternoon Snack [Not shown]:  Regular coffee with chia powder and half-and-half.  Yum, but I think this kept me from getting to sleep sooner.  Next time, tea with the chia if having in the afternoon.



Dinner:  Mr. Handsome-and-Handy made a new batch of salsa, this time with jalapeños.  It wasn't too spicy!  I don't know why he thought it would be.  Seemed just right to me.  I had 5 chips and salsa.



And one of these...



I started making half a quesadilla with a "carb balance" (fairly low carb and tons of fiber) whole wheat tortilla and 2.5 ounces cheese.  But then Thing 2 wanted to help...and wanted to eat some, too.  So I opened up the tortilla, spread the cheese around, and plopped another tortilla on top.  Voila!



We shared.  This turned out really good, especially with the salsa.  It made 8 wedges; Thing 2 ate 3.5 and I ate the rest.



So then I started to prowl the cupboards...I grabbed these and took a photo and ate them.  I was going to dig for more, then a little voice said...


"Mommy!  I want to play catch with you!"  (Aren't the hedgie jammies cute?  Wish they made them for grown-ups!)

Whew!  Saved by the GIRL!  So we played catch with a pink poodle.  Whether the kids are furry or furless, doing stuff with them can be a great distraction when the food itch happens.  She likes to help, so I asked her if she would please do that again the next time she saw me starting to eat nuts.  I don't know if she'll remember, but I should tape this photo up in the cupboard as a reminder.

P.S. - Just realized this was a meatless day!  Maybe the nutritionist was right, because my numbers seemed to like it.  Or maybe just eating less than usual overall for dinner was the trick.  I was at 121 at 1 hour after dinner, 106 at 2 hours after, and 97 for my fasting the next morning.  I usually don't test twice after a meal, but I was curious to see the tortilla effect.  (Downside - My stomach was rumbling like mad when I went to bed.  I knew, though, that I'd had plenty to eat, so I just told it to hush and wait until morning.)

No comments:

Post a Comment