Thursday, September 16, 2010

Wednesday 15 September



Breakfast:  Sorry to bore you all again, but it's the omelet, toast, and coffee...



At work:  Real coffee with half-and-half and chia powder.



Pre-workout snack:  Nonfat Fage, wheat germ, and my 2 figs!  With a generous sprinkle of cinnamon. (Darn, forgot the walnuts!)

Can you believe, I've never had a fresh fig?  Fresh figs are very mildly sweet.  They look pretty when you cut them up (and they looked prettier before I dumped a bunch of wheat germ in the dish).  From what I've read, they're a good source of fiber, and they have modest amounts of other good nutrients, such as potassium, manganese, and vitamins K and B6.  This whole dish was pretty blood-glucose friendly; I was at 115 at about 45 minutes after eating.

That said...I think the yogurt and wheat germ overwhelmed the subtle taste of the fig.  I think more flavorful fruits work better in this combo.  I think fresh fig would go great in a salad or a piece of cheese.

I enjoyed a killer workout in CardioSculpt class.  I keep wondering when this stuff is going to get easier, because I always feel so sore afterward!  We did one-legged deadlifts, and my glutes and hammies are feeling it today.  She also tried to introduce this ab and arm exercise in which we put our hands on towels, then did a breaststroke-like move while hauling ourselves up into a position like the cobra in yoga (and we weren't supposed to bend our arms like a push-up to do it).  No one could do this.  I have a sneaky suspicion that she tries to introduce moves like this so that she can demonstrate why *she's* the one up in front kicking our posteriors.  Just kidding...sort of...good thing I'm already a devoted groupie, that's all I've got to say.



Post-workout lunch:  Salad with leftover chicken leg bits and an apple.



Hey!  I made these last 2 days short of an entire month in my desk at work!  Not as impressive as it sounds, given the Costco nutfest that Mr. Handsome-and-Handy brought home around the same time, nor my post-flu-shot stress syndrome nut impulse buy.  But I'll still claim a slight victory anyhow.  2 more days, and I'll have a new record for staying out of Whole Foods!



Trying-not-to-snack Snack: Crikey, you wouldn't think I'd be so hungry!  My stomach was grumbly all afternoon.  I stilled it a little with an old trick:  hot & sour broth!  I have a jar of Better than Bouillon veggie stock in the fridge at work, so I put in a spoonful, and then I add some hot water, a generous splash of vinegar, and a few shakes of hot sauce.  Pretty tasty!  And very satisfying.  Maybe my body was craving salt?



The "I didn't think I'd still be here 4 hours after lunch" Snack:  I thought the broth was going to hold me until I drove home...then I got a text from Mr. H&H about an accident on the road home.  It's part where the only detour ends up taking almost as long as the wait, so I ended up staying at work an hour longer than I thought.  I also knew I was on my own for fixing dinner, so I raided the nut stash in my car....


...second verse, same as the first!



Dinner:  Although Mr. H&H thought I'd enjoy making a stop on the way home, "Operation Tightwad" is in progress, and I wanted to see what I could come up with at home.  I had a serving of salami while I waited for dinner to cook.


I enjoyed a quesadilla, but no fresh salsa, though. :-(  I did chop a tomato and put some Italian dressing on it. (2 bites are missing from that bowl.)



Dessert:  Peanuts and 15 semisweet Guittard (love!) chocolate chips.  Debby mentioned that Costco trail mix provided the same flavor trifecta as a chocolate chip cookie, and you know what?  I found the same with this combo.  And even better, it's a much more worthy proxy for a Snickers...I used to be a total Snickers junkie until I figured this out.  It packs much more of a chocolate punch.  Gotta love that in a dessert.


Oh, and I had to show you The Little Blanket that Could...Save Me from a Frustration-induced Nut Binge!

1 comment:

  1. Oh that blanket is too sweet.

    Regarding the 'trifecta,' I have found that I can control myself with a mix I make of walnuts, raisins, and choc. chips at home. I think that trail mix (from Costco) (yes, I ate that whole giant bag in less than a month ) has the added oil, salt (love) and inc. sugar in the M&M's that I find irresistible.

    Have I ever asked if you like sunflower seeds? In the shell they take ever-so-long to eat, but still satisfy that need for nuts, and the need for munching in the car. I only eat them in the car, though. Never in front of people. Yuck.

    I had a fig and goat cheese concoction one time (Vicky) that was fantastic.

    SALSA!! On my walk, obsessing about what to have for lunch, I remembered Mr. H&H's salsa. I had all the ingredients. And can I say what a wonder the food processor is? My gosh that was quick. And the salsa was yummy! I cut up a corn tortilla and cooked it quick in a pan. A little tough, but they did the job of conveying the salsa to my mouth.

    Have you noticed how much I enjoy talking about my food on YOUR blog?

    ReplyDelete