Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Tuesday 7 September 2010

Talk of the Treadmill

Debby said, of Friday's treadmill run: "Since I just started using the treadmill at the gym, that seems like a fantastic amount of time to spend on the treadmill. The only thing that keeps me going is watching the tv! That also seems like a very good distance for the amount of time spent."

Thanks! It was longer than I usually like to spend on the treadmill.  (When I just needed 30 minutes of cardio and wasn't training for a run, I used to do a "mini-stationary-tri" to break it up a bit:  10 minutes on the elliptical, 10 minutes on either the rowing machine or stationary bike, and 10 minutes on the treadmill.)  It isn't my favorite way to run, but it's useful, in that I can force myself to do speed intervals and know what speed I'm going. It's good for rainy days, too, or days when I have to get my run done at lunch or after work (bleh - hate having to do it after work).

The treadmill isn't so much a physical battle as a mental one for me (and many others, many have dubbed it the "dreadmill"). I usually use the one upstairs at the gym, where I can watch the street below. One of these days, though, I'm going to have to figure out the headphone thing on the TV ones downstairs. For a long time, I've resisted using music or TV when running - USAT-sanctioned triathlons do not allow personal music devices, and you get a time penalty if you violate the rule - but I have started watching Netflix while using my stationary bike at home, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to use music during some training runs. Running and biking outdoors, there is all the scenery and engagement with the road to occupy one's attention, so I'm learning to be a little less self-righteous more flexible for the indoor equivalents.

Tuesday was virtual Monday at my kids' school, in that Mr. Handsome-and-Handy needed to do his Monday shift helping in Science class. So he took the kids to school and I got an outdoor run. You think I'd be happier about getting to run outside than on a treadmill. But I had to bribe myself with being able to run to music. I chose The Ventures, a surf band, and did 3 miles in our neighborhood.

Before the run [not shown]: About 3/4 cup cantalope + mug of decaf coffee with half-and-half and almond milk.


After the run: Almond butter and sugar-free jam sandwich on flax bread, plus more of the coffee. (This time with just half-and-half, because I was using up the last bit in the container and it turned out to be more than I expected.)


At work: Green tea and chia powder.



Late morning snack:  I was scheduled for a flu shot at 2 p.m., and I didn't want to eat my lunch yet (mistake), so I went with this.



Post-flu shot:  Okay, so I need to script a better response to stress than, "I think something with pecans would be lovely."  Not only was I coming down from flu shot stress, but I was also mad that the pharmacy lady said my 10% off coupon was reusable, but the cashier said it was a 1x use and took it away.  Grr.
(Yeah, what that Kessler guy was saying about old conditioning never fully going away and relapses.)



(*heavy sigh*)



Lunch:  Ah, that's better!  Green salad with Italian dressing and a leftover bacon cheeseburger.  (Sorry, co-workers.)



Before the drive:  More nuts.  I have to move these out of my car.



Dinner: Salad, chicken legs, 1/2 a corn-on-the-cob, and some spicy Thai peanut sauce.  (Look familiar, Debby? ;-)  All I needed was a pluot!)



Mr. Handsome-and-Handy made some homemade salsa! I tasted it, and it was so bright and fresh-tasting.  We agreed that it needed a pepper that was a bit spicier, but he didn't want to use a jalapeño.  (I think grilling the veggies first would have been good, too, ala Biz.)  Anyone know of something more spicy than an Anaheim but less than a jalapeño?

1 comment:

  1. Oh I think your chicken legs look better than my dinner! I need a Mr. Handsome and Handy to cook me up a batch of those regularly.

    "old conditioning never fully going away and relapses." Thanks for the reminder--see today's post...

    ReplyDelete