Friday, September 3, 2010

Thursday 2 September 2010

Talk of the Table

Get thee to MizFitOnline if you are interested in trying and reviewing Attune probiotic chocolate bars for your blog!  They are generously sponsoring MizFit to be a healthy living blogger "Tribe Leader" at the TypeAMom conference.  She put out the invitation to connect with Attune (via expressed interest and email address in the comments to today's post), try them out, and review them on your blog.  I went ahead and put my name in the hat; I already felt the love when I was spending my own money on them. (Those little gems are a bit pricey.  Although probably about as much as I'd pay for premium dark chocolate anyway, without the extra goodness.)  Lori, they should send you a case or two, because you got me (and I'm sure several others) hooked on their bars.


Breakfast:  2 eggs with cheese, 1 slice flax toast with butter/canola spread (and you know I slapped some sugar-free jam on it), and the usual coffee/half-and-half/almond milk.


Snack:  Coffee with half-and-half and chia powder.


Lunch:  This is half of the chocolate and graham cookie I grabbed on my way out for an errand.


Back from the errand!  I had salad; it's "desperation dressing" time again.  I really need to pick some real dressing up, or even a bottle of vinegar.  But I really want to see how long I can stay out of Whole Foods, and I'm at 16 days!  I think I can make it to a month, but it's getting challenging.  Oh, and 2 oz. steak with A1 sauce.


And some walnuts.  I got this package at my last Whole Foods run.  16 oz. has lasted me 12 work days so far, and I have about 1 more day's worth of nuts in there.  That's not so bad, I guess.



Late afternoon meal-snack: I was attending back-to-school night, and so it would be about 5 hours until I got home.  I went for one of the more substantial bars in my desk drawer.  I forget if I purchased this one from Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, but it was a hefty 2.75 ounces.  Nutritional stats: 310 calories, 10 grams fat, 25 grams carb (2 fiber, 3 sugar, 9 sugar alcohols - maltitol), and a whopping 31 grams of protein.  (So, given that only 50% of the macronutrient count is protein, the "Pure Protein" blaring across the label sure is a misnomer. ;-)  But then, you couldn't even get "pure protein" in a bar if you made it out of turkey jerky.)



Hmmm.  First impression was that it was chewy, sweet, a little salty.  I didn't notice the nut flavor at first, that kicked in a little later, but was generally more mild than I was expecting.  This bar sort of reminded me of a whipped Tiger Milk bar, but not quite as sweet.  (Anyone used to eat those?)  It definitely has that "protein bar" taste to it.

Interesting recommendation on the label: "Adults, for best results, drink 8 fl. oz. water or other liquid with this bar."  I thought that was curious, because there isn't much fiber.  But it sticks to your teeth, so drinking some water helped.

The bar held me pretty well, but I like the taste of JayBars better.



Late Dinner:  1 veggie patty with cheese, steamed broccoli (plain for a change!), and some BBQ sauce.

Not shown: 2 little cups of peanuts, one with about 15 chocolate chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment