Friday, September 10, 2010

Thursday 9 September 2010


Breakfast:  The usual.  (Might be boring for you all, but I'm not getting tired of it yet!)

Not shown: Coffee with half-and-half after arriving work.


Lunch:  Salad (romaine, tomato, cucumber, celery with balsamic vinaigrette), 2 cheese sticks, cantaloupe, 2 squares chocolate on a 1/2 gourmet graham cracker, and water.

I then took a long stroll and chatted with my mom on the phone.  


Snack: I usually time it a little further out from lunch, but since I was out and about anyway, I thought I'd go for some frozen yogurt.  (Does this look familiar, Debby readers? ;-)  The last time I went in, when they first opened, they had no nutritional info posted, and I had to guesstimate.  This time it was there, and the server was able to answer my questions about portion size.  I was delighted and surprised that their dutch chocolate had the same carbs as the natural flavor: 6 grams per ounce, all sugar grams - I'd guess about 1/3 or so from lactose in the yogurt and 2/3 from added sugar.  Still, the 4 oz. "mini" size had 24 grams of sugar, and that's more than I need at one time, even when I'm working out, which I wasn't.  "Aw, well, I'll just toss half of it out," I thought sadly.  Then I remembered: our work has a freezer!  Hurrah!  So I get 2 snacks out of this!  It will be just right after my lunchtime workout tomorrow.

The flavor is definitely not like your typical frozen yogurt.  It has a tartness to it, and a strong cocoa powder flavor, almost like just mixing cocoa powder straight into some nonfat Greek-style yogurt.  I'm sure there was sugar in there, I just wasn't tasting it much. Which is good, because I don't find this to be a highly cravable substance.  (Whew!  I mean, I have to work right down the street from this place, and they're expensive.)  I have a feeling that the lower sugar yogurt isn't drawing customers as much as they'd like, because they added premium ice cream to their menu.  (I don't think either of the Things would like it, for example.)

I meant to test at 1 hour after, but wasn't able to until 1:35 after I ate it; my blood glucose reading was 99.  Cool!  Under 120 2-hours post is what I want, so I was good.  I'm just curious, though, how high it may have gone at the 1 hour mark, because it was low in protein and fat.  So next time, I'll try that. 


Dinner:  Steak night - I had about 4 oz. on the bone there, with A1 sauce and a big ol' dish of grilled peppers and onions.

Thing 2 reminded me about the nuts.  She remembered!


I also had a handful of tomatoes....


I also tried Mr. Handsome-and-Handy's latest batch of salsa.  Yum!  He used a big heirloom tomato and put a drop of liquid smoke in it.  (I keep urging him to grill the veggies and see how that works.)  His recipe is very similar to Biz's Baja Fresh salsa recipe, except he makes small batches.  I should just eat this with a spoon, because the chips are merely a vehicle for the salsa.

So in spite of the reminder, I pulled the nuts out, stared at the container, and put them back and went about doing other things.  Victory.   Heavens, not like I was still hungry, it was more "habit energy."

1 comment:

  1. Laughing at the talking chips. Reminds me of a friend who says cookies are just a vehicle for transporting icing!

    That's really interesting about the yogurt and the amount of sugar it has in it in spite of it being 'tart.' Yes, i'm afraid most places have gone to the other side, adding more 'sweet yogurts.' And that is the only place that I have ever heard tried to keep the chocolate tart. Even pinkberry's chocolate is sweet, or so they told me.

    She-Ra! Princess of Power! You put the nuts back???

    ReplyDelete